I've been known to ask a question and reply myself... Out loud. If it can be answered with song lyrics or movie lines - extra points - but I don't keep score. I approach color fearlessly, to wake the senses or lull them. Users are people. Design is bigger than deliverables. And the best ideas go bump in the night.
My creative curiosity for the “What’s possible...” buries me in deep into the pages of books - fiction and non. I’m energized by collaboration and social justice, shamelessly acknowledging vinyl cover art taught me everything I know. Nothing sounds better than needle on wax. I believe no good thing is made without alil' music. I have a passion for showing love through creation, so I paint with flavors and cook - ALOT.
Process makes perfect. My best work happens in the wee hours so I taught myself to lucid dream and chase down inspiration. As a production manager I laughed with George Clinton and watched Jazzy Jeff mix live.
I met my idols, through design I can meet real needs. As a creative of numerous intersecting identities (Black, queer, woman) my personal mandate as a Product designer is to work ever towards ethical design that is ultimately thoughtful, accessible, and inclusive.
I'm a Los Angeles based UX/UI Designer bringing a background in Visual Design along for the ride, with nearly 10 years of experience complimented by social media strategy and experiential marketing. From end to end, I aim to craft truly satisfying, intuitive, and empowering experiences within products that find themselves at the cornerstones of daily life. All while delivering elevated visuals along the way. As a graphic designer, it was the persistent strategy behind the visuals that made my transition to UX a seamless one.
Born in Chicago, and having split my time between the Midwest and West Coast ever since - I am powered by creative curiosity and the potential for innovation. Fueled by the excitement of complex design challenges and the opportunity to delight - I design for PEOPLE. "Users" is too sterile - the stuff of lab rats, white coats, and spaces void of lived experiences.
Driven by the incredibly powerful, user-derived knowledge of what’s natural, what’s obvious, and what’s good in bespoke projects, sized to fit business needs. The adventure that is freelancing allows me the opportunity to speak visually to the times, while working in a multitude of environments & teams, on an expanse of products across industries.
• Clients include: Nike, Reebok, New Era, Allstate Insurance, McGuffin Creative Group, Smashbox Cosmetics, LVMH Hennessy/Moet Group, Industry.co, No Small Plans, Empire / Fox TV Network, non-profits, social justice organizations, collaborations with peer artists and many more.
Not to be over looked - other fuels include; various incarnations of snacks, and live music.
• Visual Design
• User Research
• Product Management
• Competitive Analysis
• Site Mapping / IA
• Sketching & Iterative Design
• Hi & Lo-Fi Wire Framing
• Interactive / Rapid Prototyping
• A/B Testing
• User Interface Design
• Responsive Design & Mobile First
• Lean & Agile Workflows
• HTML / CSS Foundations
• User Ally
• Design Thinking
• Copywriting + Content Strategy
• Social Media / Viral Strategy
• Cross-functional team communication
• Emotional Intelligence
• Client Relations / Management
• Ideation & Group Design Techniques
• Visual Storytelling
• Whiteboard ideation
• Culture Influencer
• Event Conceptualization & Production
• Team Mediation
Most Recent & Relevant... Now w/o Filler!
UX DESIGNER | 06/2016 - PRESENT
Tasked with re-designing the e-commerce experience from entry to checkout of 10 existing brands, while simultaneously developing and maintaining a UX first component library able to be reused and applied to templates for over 180 other brands in their stable. The result was nearly 100 unique components supporting browsing, education, e-comm, and database functions across multiple brands while preserving each brand's distinguished identities and functional requirements. Ultimately serving as the keeper of the components I served as an intermediary and subject matter "expert" between tech teams in Costa Rica & Atlanta and design teams in LA, helping to bridge communications and relaying functional / technical constraints while advocating for the user's best possible experience.
• Tasks: Requirements gathering, component mapping, user testing, quick iterative wire framing, documentation for tech teams, cross team communication front-end / back-end / design / content, library updates and maintenance.
• Clients: AT&T Brand Center, AT&T Consumer Mobile, Graco Baby, Rubbermaid Commercial, BabyJogger, Rubbermaid Consumer, Sharpie
UX Designer | 3/2016 - 6/2016
• Tasks: Requirements gathering, user research, user testing, quick iterative wire framing, documentation for dev team, UI & interaction design, cross team communication front-end / back-end / design / content.
• Clients: HBO, McKittrick Hotel, PunchDrunk, Coalition For Inclusive Capitalism, Dermalogica.
UX / UI Designer + Researcher | 2015
Reporting directly to the CTO/CPO, squarely focused on addressing user pain points, furthering business goals, and improving KPI's. Over the course of 5 weeks, in one week sprints, improve the usability of The Industry's current beta platform by overhauling on-boarding, profile fulfillment, and provide user-derived insights that would inform future iterations of the site.
• Tasks: Research, user interviews, scripting portions of stakeholder interviews, distilling insights, scripting scenario, developing persona, journey mapping, user flow, profile view layout, on-boarding strategy / design that addressed pain points and business goals, ideation of new user derived features to be included in product roadmap, next steps recommendations.
Creative Ninja ( UX/UI + ART DIR. ) | 2010 - 2015
Routinely packaging a suite of UX, social media, and design deliverables from wire frames, mock-ups, & prototypes to business analysis, various designed assets for web, print, and identity. Driven by the incredibly powerful, user-derived knowledge of what’s natural, what’s obvious, and what’s good in bespoke projects, sized to fit business needs. The adventure that is freelancing allows me the opportunity to speak visually to the times, while working in a multitude of environments and teams, on an expanse of products and industries.
• Clients include: Nike, Reebok, New Era, Allstate Insurance, McGuffin Creative Group, Smashbox, LVMH Hennessy/Moet Group, Industry.co, Empire / Fox TV Network, non-profits, peer led collaborations + more.
UX Design Immersive | 2015
The full-time immersive UX accelerator at General Assembly is designed to provide real world experience through a variety of client facing projects. Students learn from UX experts/practitioners over the course of 10 weeks, covering 5 projects in 1 to 2 week sprints, and 500+ hours of in-class and after hours, hands-on work. Students depart with the skills, tools, technology, and a comprehensive understanding of the UX process end-to-end, imparting the ability to create delightful and meaningful user experiences that deliver mightily for the both the user and stakeholders.
Advertising Communications | 2006-2009
Course work focused on traditional aspects and emerging trends in the changing landscape of advertising. Strong emphasis on integrated marketing communications, art direction, copy, and brand strategy. Coursework was heavy on market research, copy writing and tone for radio, tv, web, and print.
• Visual design & art direction for digital and print media, and multi-channel ad campaigns using foundational communication design principles - rapid visualization / typography / layout / color theory.